What are Bento Snack Boxes?

I call my snack boxes "bento" but they are not true bento boxes.  A bento is a popular boxed lunch in Japan.  They are usually made up of rice, seaweed, fish and vegetables.  The food is carefully tucked into the bento box in intricate and creative ways.  There are some amazing bentos out there.  I borrow inspiration and some techniques from these bento box lunches for my snack boxes.


My boxes are not complete lunches, they just serve as a snack or accompany a lunch.  The ingredients I use are decidedly western; usually a combination of fresh or dried fruits, vegetables, nuts, crackers, cheeses, cold meats, yogurt, dips and occasionally something sweet.  You could use anything you want but I generally try to stick with healthy foods.  I will occasionally dress up the boxes using bento accessories or making a themed box, usually I keep it simple.  Choosing vibrant colorful foods and arranging them neatly is the key to a beautiful snack box.


The boxes are fun to make and fun to eat.  Its a great way to add a variety of different tastes to a lunch without having to buy costly and wasteful individually packaged snacks.  The foods I use are usually nothing exciting, but when packed together you might find yourself looking forward to snack break even more than usual.

Popular posts from this blog

Halushka Recipe ~ Braised Cabbage and Dumplings